Contact us

Thank you to all Canadians who already completed the 2021 Census.

If you received a reminder and already completed your census questionnaire, please disregard it and accept our thanks.

Let's all keep working together to create Canada's statistical portrait!

Did you know that you can find answers to most of your questions directly on the census website? Make sure to read the frequently asked questions before calling the Census Help Line to save you some time.

Here are some of our most asked questions:

I did not receive a secure access code. What should I do?

On May 3, 90% of private dwellings across Canada will receive a census letter delivered by Canada Post. Between May 3 and May 10, census enumerators will deliver census letters to the remaining 10% of dwellings. This letter provides information on how to complete your census questionnaire, and includes your secure access code at the top, under the flap.

If you have not received a census letter by May 11, please contact the Census Help Line using the toll-free number below. If you live in a facility or establishment of a commercial, institutional, or communal nature, such as a residence for senior citizens, a religious establishment, a hotel or a school residence, please visit Frequently asked questions—Collectives enumeration for more information.

I received a census letter at an unoccupied dwelling or a secondary residence. Do I still have to complete a census for that address?

If you received a census letter at an unoccupied dwelling, such as an empty rental unit, or if you received a census letter at a secondary residence, such as a cottage, you must still complete the first few questions regarding contact information for that dwelling.

Enter "zero" as the number of persons staying at this address and, when prompted, choose the appropriate description of the address where the letter was delivered, such as the dwelling is for rent. Submit the questionnaire once completed. Please visit Frequently asked questions—Who should be included in the census for more information.

Is the questionnaire available in languages other than English and French?

The 2021 Census questions are available in 25 languages, in addition to English and French. You can obtain the census questions in any of these languages by visiting Census information in many languages.

However, it should be noted that the census questions were translated for reference purposes only, and that the census questionnaire must be completed online, by phone, or on paper, in English or in French.

Census Help Line

If you haven't found the answer to your question and require assistance to complete your census questionnaire, please contact the Census Help Line to speak to a census operator. You can also contact us at any time via our online form (opens in new browser window), and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Hours of operation (starting on May 3, 2021)

  • Monday to Friday, from 6:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern time)
  • Saturday and Sunday, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. (Eastern time)

If you use an operator-assisted relay service, you can call us during regular business hours. You do not need to authorize the operator to contact us.

Census of Population

  • Toll-free number: 1-855-340-2021
  • TTY (a telecommunications device for deaf persons): 1-833-830-3109

Census of Agriculture

  • Toll-free number: 1-855-859-6273
  • TTY (a telecommunications device for deaf persons): 1-833-652-0195
Date modified: